One-year AS/two-year A-level
If you are passionate about dance you will love this subject. You will learn various techniques which include various contemporary and lyrical styles. You will also choreograph and perform your own work and develop your performance skills. There will be opportunities to perform in college productions at a professional theatre.
Five or more A*-C grades at GCSE, including English language. You will need an interest in developing your knowledge of practical skills and theory through dance.
What will I study?
The AS-level course will focus on:
- developing your dance technique and performance skills
- knowledge and understanding of choreography
- healthy dancer – anatomy and physiology and safe practice
- critical analysis of your skills through written work
- study of professional works
On the course you will:
- develop your knowledge of dance practice
- build your skills as a performer and choreographer
- study and the works of recognised choreographers
- create your own choreography to be showcased in college productions
- see professional live dance performance work
- perform as part of the college dance company
Method of assessment
60% Practical – You are assessed on your choreography and performance of a solo piece, and your performance in a duo or trio. 40% Written – You are also assessed through a written exam demonstrating your knowledge of choreographic techniques, safe practice and professional works.
What will I be able to progress to?
You will gain the experience to study further at dance conservatoires and universities for a degree in dance or related subject. This subject will also provide you with a solid foundation of critical and analytical skills which will complement studies in humanities, English, social sciences and media.
Students interested in taking AS-level dance, will be required to attend an audition.