Level 3 BTEC Certificate/Extended Certificate Journalism
Our Journalism course (Creative Media Production – Print Media) is designed as a first step into the world of news media. With a strong emphasis on reporting through words and images, you will produce a range of projects in different formats showcasing your research and interview skills, in addition to practical production abilities in print and audio.
Level 3 BTEC Certificate/Extended Certificate
BTEC Certificate: one year
Extended Certificate: two years
Five or more A*– C grades at GCSE, including English Language.
What will I study?
The course will focus on:
- in-depth research skills
- the development of journalistic writing skills
- the journalism industry, including print, web and other online formats
- media techniques of persuasion
- digital photography and image manipulation
- using industry standard design software including InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- using audio software such as Audacity and Soundtrack Pro
On the course you will:
- design and produce various media products, including magazine spreads, newspaper stories, photojournalism articles, radio sequences and campaign materials
- build a portfolio of journalism work
- develop your creative, design and presentation skills
Method of assessment
You will be assessed by practical work and a collection of evidence from your portfolio. You will also carry out a final major project in the second year.
What will I be able to progress to?
The course will enable you to progress to university to study courses such as Journalism, Photojournalism, Media and Communications, as well as a variety of other Media-related subjects. Depending on your other advanced level courses, it will also prepare you for a range of other degree level courses or to move straight into employment.
The one-year Certificate is equivalent to an AS-level. The two-year Extended Certificate is equivalent to an A-level.