Level 3 BTEC certificate/subsidiary diploma in music performing
One-year BTEC certificate/two-year subsidiary diploma
Music performing is ideal if you enjoy performing and want to develop the technical level of your playing. You will build a portfolio of performances and compositions through collaborative assignments. You will perform in a wide range of styles throughout this course.
Five or more A*-C grades at GCSE, including English language and relevant musical experience. All applicants will be required to attend an audition as part of the interview process.
What will I study?
The course will focus on:
- exploring theoretical and compositional methods
- creating a range of music in a variety of collaborative ensembles
- developing your understanding of song writing and composition
- learning through workshops
- collaboration with others on the creative process
On the course you will:
- build up your performance practice through building a portfolio of your work
- create and arrange musical ideas
- have the opportunity for free weekly instrumental lessons through the NewVIc Music Advancement Programme (MAP)
- develop your performance skills as a solo and ensemble player
- plan and run performance events
Method of assessment
You will be assessed through practical coursework and a collection of evidence from your portfolio, including a final major project in the second year.
What will I be able to progress to?
This subject works well in combination with media and design- based subjects, as well as providing creative enhancement to traditional academic A-level subjects. This qualification will give you the skills and experience necessary for university music courses or employment. MAP gives students opportunities to develop their music leadership skills, which can lead to progression onto music school degree programmes.
The one-year certificate is equivalent to an AS-level. The two-year subsidiary diploma is equivalent to an A-level. More information about studying the music leadership programme.