Level 3 BTEC certificate/subsidiary diploma in music technology production
One-year BTEC certificate/two-year subsidiary diploma
You will develop your creative skills in both studio production and performance through a variety of industry standard programmes and DJ software. Through exciting projects you will learn about events management, staging, marketing and performance. You will have a portfolio of skills from theoretical to practical, as required by professionals working in the music industry. Our music facilities, including a suite of Apple Mac computers with professional standard software, digital recording studios and a wide range of instruments.
Five or more A*-C grades at GCSE, including English language. These should also include music or you will need to show evidence of your relevant music technology, instrumental or vocal experience through a CD or DVD.
What will I study?
The course will focus on:
- the creative application of technology in music
- developing music listening skills
- regular performances each term in different venues
- producing high standard live and studio recordings
- the historical developments of music technology
- producing creative music involving hardware and software
On the course you will:
- develop your portfolio of skills as a musician
- be creative with different music production techniques: exploring sound creation and manipulation
- earn sequencing systems and sound recording techniques
- explore laptop technology in live performance
- specialise in an area of music technology
- work on collaborative projects with other departments
- interact with music industry professionals and learn web-based marketing and promotion
Method of assessment
You will be assessed through practical coursework and a collection of evidence from your portfolio of technology and music industry experiences, including a final major project in the second year.
What will I be able to progress to?
This subject works well in combination with media and design- based subjects, as well as providing creative enhancement to traditional academic A-level subjects. This qualification will give you the skills and experience necessary for university music courses or employment.