NewVIc student charter
The student charter is the contract that a student and the college enter into when that student joins NewVIc. It outlines the responsibilities of the student and the college.
Students can expect:
- Good information, advice and guidance from expert staff at every stage
- A good start to college; easy application and enrolment, thorough induction and being made feel welcome and safe in college
- An early assessment of learning needs, a learning plan and prompt support
- Support and encouragement to succeed and a personal tutor to help them achieve their goals
- Excellent teaching that is varied, stimulating, challenging and inclusive
- Clear targets and regular feedback on their progress, shared with parents/guardians.
- Encouragement and support to make healthy choices
- Guidance to make realistic and ambitious plans for their future in education or at work
- An attractive, accessible and well-resourced learning environment
- Recognition and respect for their language, culture, values, beliefs, abilities and interests
- Confidence that any behaviour issues or discrimination will be dealt with quickly and effectively
- Encouragement to feed back their views and confidence that these will be acted upon
- The opportunity to get involved in a wide range of activities to develop their broader skills and interests
We expect students to:
- Know, follow and promote the college code of conduct at all times
- Adopt a mature approach to learning, keep up with their work and aim for 100% attendance and punctuality
- Let us know early when and where support is needed
- Respect all other members of the college community and deal with differences calmly and sensibly
- Act as good ambassadors for NewVIc, showing mature and respectful behaviour on and off campus.
- Take full advantage of all the learning and wider opportunities offered at NewVIc and become fully involved in college life
- Be prepared to give feedback on their learning and experience of college