History of NewVIc
Newham Sixth Form College, also known as NewVIc, is located in Plaistow in Newham. The college was established in 1992. With more than 2,500 full-time students, NewVIc is one of London’s largest sixth form colleges in London.
This year, the college’s A-level pass rate increased by 1% on last year at 98%, and is the best ever pass rate for the College. The proportion of candidates achieving the highest possible A* grade is also up and 10% of all entries achieved A or A* grades with 14 of these in Maths, 12 in Sociology, 10 in Psychology, 9 in Chemistry and 7 in Biology. Students in 22 A-level subjects achieved 100% pass rates.
A school was first opened on the site as the municipal Plaistow Secondary School in 1926. In 1945 this became Plaistow Grammar School (later known as Plaistow County Grammar School) which in 1972 merged with Faraday Secondary Modern School to become Cumberland Comprehensive School.
On conversion to a sixth form college student numbers grew at a dramatic rate, increasing from 750 in the first year to over 2,000 in the 2002/3 academic year and more than 2,500 in 2009/10. The college was led from 1991 to 2008 by Sid Hughes, who won a Lifetime Achievement Award in the Teaching Awards of 2005 and was awarded an honorary degree by University of East London on retiring from NewVIc. The current Principal is Eddie Playfair, who has been in place since 2008.
New Learning Resources Centre
At NewVIc we strive to provide the very best quality educational services for our students. We update our equipment and services frequently in order enhance the resources we can offer students.