When you apply to the college, it is important that you let us know about your specific learning and medical needs, including any access arrangements for examinations - we assess students and provide reports to the examination boards.
Skills Centre Support
All students can access additional support in the Skills Centre. You will be asked to complete a ‘Profiler’ to help us identify any English and Maths support needs you may have. A support plan and further assessment will be agreed with you as necessary.
Available support includes:
- literacy, numeracy and dyslexia specialist teachers who offer workshops in the Skills Centre
- learning support practitioners (LSPs) who offer in-class support
- visual impairment specialist who carries out assessments and provides specialist support
- dyslexia assessments and specialist support
- software for students with dyslexia and visual impairments
- welfare suite for students with medical and personal care needs
- personal care and mobility support
- adaptive aids and equipment including laptops and iPads
- access arrangements for examinations –
- we assess students and provide reports to the examination boards.
Studied at University of London and Institute of Education, London and has been working at NewVIc for four years including two on secondment from Newham Service for the Visually Impaired at Tunmarsh.
“As a Qualified Teacher of the Visually Impaired I support students with a wide range of visual impairments on a one-to-one basis. I assess student’s vision and produce action plans recommending teaching strategies and resources. I adapt teaching materials into large print or braille, and recommend exam access arrangements. I teach students how to use assistive technology and work with teaching staff to give students the best possible access to the curriculum.”