Do you enjoy applying Maths in everyday use? How many steps are you likely to walk in your life? Want to know more about personal finance? Enjoy mathematical puzzles and their application? Got a grade 5 at GCSE Maths or better and not continuing with A Level Maths? Studying any one or more of Biology, Psychology, Geography or Sociology, Business, Travel and Tourism, Media, Art, Health and Social Science or BTEC Science? If your answer is yes, you should consider this qualification that will give you extra UCAS points.
Level 3 Qualification (AQA)
Five or more 9-4 grades at GCSE.
- English Language (minimum 5)
- Maths (minimum 5)
The course mainly uses skills and concepts from Level 2 Maths in real life situations using Level 3 industries. You will receive UCAS points for this qualification. This course is particularly useful for students taking A level Biology, Psychology or Sociology, Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business, Science and Health and Social Care, as well as most subjects included in the Tech Bacc such as Computer Science, Engineering and Construction and the Built Environment
What will I study?
The course will focus on:
- aspects of personal finance including calculating loans and mortgages and their repayments
- financial terms such as terms AER and APR
- explore statistical methods that will help you with your studies and coursework at NewVIc as well as at university
- use mathematical modelling to solve real life problems
On the course you will:
- explore everyday scenarios through fun ways of mathematical thinking
- develop a better understanding of personal finance for adult life
- gain a basic understanding of statistics that will help you understand, analyse and critique statements from newspapers and other media, as well as prepare for your first statistics unit at university
There are two assessments at the end of the year.
What will I be able to progress to?
From 2018, it is likely that this qualification will become an advantage for many students wishing to study Early Years, Nursing, Midwifery and Business Management as well as Psychology at university.