Privacy Notice for Students
Notice about how we use your personal information
We are the data controller of personal information about you. We are Newham Sixth Form College. Our address is: Prince Regent Lane, Plaistow, London E13 8SG.
Our Data Protection Officer is Newham Partnership Working, email@example.com the College lead for data protection is Heather Semmens GDPR@newvic.ac.uk / 020 75406935. If you have any questions about this notice or the ways in which we use your personal information, please contact the College data protection lead.
This privacy notice has been prepared in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (“GDPR”) and the Data Protection Act 2018.
This notice sets out how we use your personal information when you apply to study and or enrol at the College.
We collect and use your personal information on the basis that it is necessary for performing our public interest in providing education for you. We also collect and use your personal information on the basis that we need to do so in order to comply with our legal obligations.
Your personal information is used by the Department for Education to exercise its functions and to meet its statutory responsibilities, including under the Apprenticeships, Skills, Children and Learning Act 2009 and to create and maintain a unique learner number (ULN) and a personal learning record (PLR). Your information will be securely destroyed after it is no longer required for these purposes.
Where we collect your special category personal information, we do this on the basis that it is necessary for the purposes of delivering education. Special categories of personal data are personal data that reveal a person’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religions or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, genetic data (i.e. information about their inherited or acquired genetic characteristics, information about their physical, physiological or behavioural characteristics (such as facial images and fingerprints), physical or mental health, sexual life or sexual orientation and criminal records).
We may ask for consent to process your image for marketing purposes; however you will be provided with an image consent form, and you will be informed of how to withdraw your consent
We are contractually obliged to share information with the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) and partner organisations. Further information about use of and access to your personal data, details of organisations with whom we regularly share data, information about how long we retain your data, and how to change your consent to being contacted, please visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/esfa-privacy-notice
The legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information
The information you provide us with is processed on the basis of public interest in providing education to you.
Where that information is special category personal information (for example medical information) we will process this because there is a substantial public interest for us to do so.
How long we keep your information
We will not keep your personal information for longer than we need it for the purposes we have explained above. We will keep your information for seven years.
How your information is shared
We are contractually obliged to share information with the ESFA, Greater London Authority, Police, NHS, Local Authorities, Social Services, European Social Fund, Department for Work and Pensions, Local and Combined Authorities in England, Greater London Authority, Higher Education Statistics Agency, Office for Standards in Education, Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education, educational institutions and organisations performing research and statistical work on behalf of the Department for Education, or partners of those organisations.
How we transfer your information outside of Europe
We do not store or transfer your personal data outside of Europe.
Your rights over your personal information
You have a number of rights over your personal information, which are:
- the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) if you are unhappy about the way your personal data is being used – please refer to the ICO’s website for further information about this (https://ico.org.uk/);
- the right to ask us what personal information about you we are holding and to have access to a copy of your personal information;
- the right to ask us to correct any errors in your personal information;
- the right, in certain circumstances such as where our use of your personal information is based on your consent and we have no other legal basis to use your personal information, to ask us to delete your personal information;
- the right, in certain circumstances such as where we no longer need your personal information, to request that we restrict the use that we are making of your personal information;
- the right, in certain circumstances, to ask us to review and explain our legitimate interests to you; and
- the right, where our use of your personal information is carried out for the purposes of an agreement with us and is carried out by automated means, to ask us to provide you with a copy of your personal information in a structured, commonly-used, machine-readable format.
CHANGES TO OUR PRIVACY NOTICE
We keep our privacy notice under regular review. Any changes we make to our privacy notice in the future will be notified to you by email and on College information systems.